Motorhome Insurance

Comprehensive Motorhome Insurance with Safeguard.

What is Motorhome Insurance?

Motorhome Insurance is a type of cover that’s designed for motorhomes and recreational vehicles (RVs). Unlike Caravan Insurance, Motorhome Insurance is a legal requirement because motorhomes are classed as vehicles, like cars and vans.

Your Safeguard motorhome policy can also cover things like awnings and personal contents so you can take to the road safely in the knowledge that you’re fully protected under one plan.

What’s the difference between Motorhome and Campervan Insurance?

The main difference between Motorhome and Campervan Insurance is that campervans are typically smaller than motorhomes. This can sometimes make a difference in the rating an insurer provides for your vehicle. For example, one insurer may rate the vehicle on its size or dimensions, while another bases their rating purely on engine size. This may, in turn, make a difference to the price you’re quoted.

There is no difference in the cover or benefits provided by Safeguard whether you’re insuring a campervan or a motorhome.

How much does Motorhome Insurance cost?

The cost of motorhome Insurance in the UK is reflected by the insurer you choose and the type of insurance you’re looking for. Your quote also depends on a variety of factors, including:

  • The age and model of the vehicle

  • Where it’s stored when not in use

  • The named driver or drivers

  • Your claims history

  • Your No Claims Bonus

You’ll always get quotes tailored to your needs when you choose Safeguard UK to help ensure you don’t pay more than you need to get the coverage you want.

What our customers say...

Based on reviews of all products


What does Motorhome Insurance cover?

Safeguard works with a variety of insurers. Depending on the details of your policy Safeguard Motorhome Insurance may include:

  • Motorhome breakdown cover - You’ll get UK and European breakdown cover from the AA included in your policy.

  • Windscreen repair - Unlimited windscreen and body glass replacement cover (Minimum £100 fixed excess applies for replacement, but not for repair).

  • European cover - Your policy will cover you on any EU road trips, 365 days a year.

  • Personal contents cover - Personal belongings (up to a total of £3,000) are covered for fire, theft and accidental damage.

Why choose Safeguard UK?

  • Over 30 years insuring — Our extensive experience in caravan insurance means we understand what’s important to our customers.

  • Specialist insurer — At Safeguard, we specialise in insuring caravans and motorhomes, so you’ll get expert help finding the right policy for you.

Types of motorhome we cover

At Safeguard, we work with a variety of insurers so that you can get the insurance you need no matter what kind of motorhome you own. 

Here are the types of motorhome that we can typically insure:

  • Classic motorhomes - Enjoy the quintessential British motorhome experience with classic Motorhome Insurance from Safeguard. We can cover a range of classic models, with breakdown cover available. 

  • Campervans - From quirky conversions to vintage Volkswagens, we understand how much your campervan means to you. That’s why at Safeguard, we work to find insurance quotes that give you full coverage should anything go wrong.

  • American RVs - American-style recreational vehicles (RVs) are becoming increasingly popular in the UK thanks to their wealth of interior space and next-level amenities. At Safeguard, our Motorhome Insurance policies can cover even the most luxurious RVs, freeing you to take to the open road in style.

Getting a quote with Safeguard

Getting a quote for your Motorhome Insurance is easy with Safeguard UK. You can get a quote online in minutes with our simple three-step process:


Tell us a bit about you

We’ll ask for some details like your name, date of birth, and contact details. We’ll also ask whether you’ve made any claims in the last few years.


Tell us about your motorhome

We need to know as much about your motorhome as we can to find a suitable quote for your needs. We’ll ask for things like your motorhome’s make and model, as well as how it’s being used, and what kind of security features it has.


Tell us what cover you need

Tailor your policy by telling us what level of cover you need. That way, you’ll be compensated accurately should anything happen to it while you’re covered under a Safeguard policy.

Get a quote online or call us today

Get a quote online  0333 035 9762

How to reduce the cost of Motorhome Insurance

There are several things that you can do now which could reduce the amount you pay for your Motorhome Insurance in the future.

  1. Install additional security measures — Motorhomes that are fitted with security features like burglar alarms and tracking systems are at lower risk than motorhomes that aren’t. Installing security measures could help you get a cheaper quote with many insurers.

  2. Store in a safe location — Keeping your motorhome somewhere safe when it’s not in use can help reduce the price you pay for insurance. Locked garages are typically the safest places to store your motorhome.

  3. Reduce your mileage — The fewer miles you travel with your motorhome each year, the cheaper your insurance is likely to be. Keeping your mileage low means you’re at less risk of being in an accident, making it easier for insurers to offer you a cheaper quote.

Safeguard includes UK and European breakdown cover from the AA (for motorhomes less than 20 years old) and EU cover is included as standard for any EU road trips, 365 days a year. This includes providing roadside assistance, towage and garage repairs up to the value of £250 for motorhomes up to 3.5 tonnes (3,500 kg), and up to the value of £2,000 for vehicles above 3.5 tonnes.

Safeguard insurer partners can also provide emergency accommodation and alternative travel arrangements if the vehicle cannot be repaired in your destination country. (All subject to terms and conditions as set out in the Motorhome Insurance policy documentation).

Yes, you can accrue No Claims Bonus with your Safeguard Motorhome Insurance policy, subject to approval by your new insurer. This can sometimes then be transferred to other Motor Insurance policies if required. However, you should note that the majority of our insurers do not accept motorhome No Claims Bonuses.

Safeguard may also provide a mirrored discount to customers who are not transferring earned NCB to the motorhome and have NCB in their name currently on a private or company car – this is subject to claims history of course.

The current minimum age for insuring a motorhome with Safeguard is 21 and the maximum age for new customers is 79. Once you’re insured with Safeguard, there's no upper limit for renewal. Other insurers may only insure drivers over the age of 25.

Anyone with a full UK driving licence can drive a motorhome up to 3.5 tonnes (3,500kg). In order to drive a motorhome over 3.5 tonnes, the driver must have passed their test before 1st January 1997 and is, therefore, able to drive a vehicle up to 7.5 tonnes (7,500kg). If the driver passed their test after 1st January 1997, a special test would need to be taken to enable them to drive this weight of motorhome – the same applies to anyone wishing to drive a vehicle over 7.5 tonnes.

Unfortunately, Safeguard Motorhome Insurance cannot be suspended over the winter months. Motorhome Insurance is a legal requirement and even though the vehicle may not be in use, it's still important that your motorhome is insured for risks such as storm damage, fire and theft.

Safeguard doesn't offer a short term or temporary Motorhome Insurance policy. Our Motorhome Insurance policy is valid for 12 months so you can take off in your motorhome at any time throughout the year knowing that you'll be covered.

You cannot currently insure a self-build campervan with Safeguard.

Yes. A motorhome is classed as a vehicle, so it is mandatory that you insure it.

Yes - with Safeguard, you can add an additional driver to your Motorhome Insurance policy.

Other products we offer


Caravan Insurance

Protect your static or touring caravan, and also the memories that come with it. With Safeguard Caravan Insurance, you can get cover for weather damage, contents insurance, public liability cover, EU cover for touring caravans, and much more.

Learn more about Caravan Insurance 

Home Insurance 

There's the home you take on the road, and there's the home you come back to from your adventurous road trips or cosy staycations. At Safeguard, we understand that whatever home looks like, it's important to protect it - browse our cover and optional extras and get a quote today. 

Learn more about Home Insurance


Park Home Insurance

While similar to standard Home and Contents Insurance, our Park Home Insurance policies are specifically designed for legislation relating to detached, bungalow-style homes built on pitches. 

Learn more about Park Home Insurance